The Wingham Drum carder is designed and built by us in South Yorkshire, allowing us to create a piece of equipment that has all the features we consider to be the most important. We think that our carder is excellent value without compromising on either materials or build quality.
These are our main specification points for comparison
If you have any questions please contact us
- The card cloth is 120 points per inch (PPI) stainless steel, the same grade as our Fine Wingham Hand Carders. . It takes very heavy use to wear out card cloth and its not something we see often, you'll be using this carder for many years to come.Stainless steel removes the worry of the wire ever rusting.
- Easy to replace drum card cloth if ever required in the future.
- The main drum measures 20cm (8") in width and has a diameter of 18cm (7"). This means that your final carded batt will be approximately 56cm (22")long.
- The carder frame is individually hand-made from certified sustainable European beech finished in Danish oil. The side panels are fixed with machine screws and barrel nuts. More secure than screws and easier to take apart .
- Bearings. All rotating shafts are set in Oilite self lubricating sintered bronze bearings, ensuring not only that you get a smooth action on the carder but also that there is no wear leading to misalignment of the drums. Very important on a drum carder
- Handle made from heavy duty stainless steel with rotating wood grip. No parts to break or fail. The handle is easily detachable for storage. There is the option of a longer handle to make turning easier.
- Comes with the packer brush which locates on the frame at the back of the main drum, no clamping, it sits on the frame. In this position when blending it packs the fibres before they pass under the drum. This ensures any loose material placed on the top of the drum when blending is pressed into place before it has a chance to drop off.
- Self adjusting drive belt
- Two speed drive, useful to use the slower drive when carding and faster when blending
Doffer awl, designed to easily slide between the wire to lift out the fibre.
Optional: Long stainless steel handle.
This is intended for those who may have difficulty in turning the drum with a standard length handle, as the extra long handle arm increases the mechanical advantage, making it much easier to turn. Please be aware that this will be sent instead of the standard length handle, not in addition.